Thursday, July 22, 2010

Alphabet Flash Card Wall Art!

I looked everywhere for alphabet wall art for my boy's playroom that was not going to cost $150 - the only thing I could find were teaching posters so, I decided I could make my own version for substantially less. Because I had items I could repurpose, I made this for under $30.

You will need:
  • A pack of flash cards, your choice. I used these.
  • Paint of your choice, I used some white interior wall paint we had around.
  • Small paint roller.
  • A frame with heavy backing (I repurposed an old piece of metal framed art from Ikea). You could also frame a piece of plywood to get the same effect - the frame should sit above the backing about a 1/4 inch to give an edge/lip for pouring the gloss finish.
  •  Spray adhesive.
  • Pourable resin finish (I used, "pour on" high gloss finish: HERE. Which gives the finished piece a glass like finish - be sure to check the measurements so you will have enough, once you start pouring you can't stop - mine was 4 square feet).
What I did:
  1. Paint the backing, the color of choice - let dry at least 4 hours. I did two coats.
  2. Measure and set flash cards with spray adhesive - let dry per adhesive directions. The measuring part is actually what took me the longest. I used measuring tape and a pencil to ensure the items were lined up.
  3. Mix the resin per package directions and pour, avoiding bubbles. Brush with a small foam paint brush to smooth evenly. Let dry at least 24 hours. If bubbles appear during the drying process you can pop them, avoid trying to re-spread the resin as it is now tacky.
  4. Hang and enjoy!
*Be sure to do this craft in a well ventilated area, such as a garage as the paint/spray adhesive and resin all have very strong smells - you also need to let this project sit for several days to ensure it is dry.

Let me know if you have any questions about this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment